MANAGER – DEVELOPMENT (MAJOR GIFTS)
MANAGER – DEVELOPMENT (MAJOR GIFTS)
WHO WE ARE
Founded in 1986, Prosper Canada is a national charity dedicated to expanding economic opportunities for Canadians living in poverty through program and policy innovation.
As Canada’s leading national champion of financial empowerment, we work with government, business, and community partners to develop and promote financial policies, programs, and resources that transform lives and foster the prosperity of all Canadians.
Prosper Canada does not deliver services directly to people living on low incomes. Instead, we work with public, private, and community sector partners to ensure quality financial empowerment (FE) supports (including effective policy and regulation) are available to all people living on a low income in Canada.
At Prosper Canada, we value being collaborative, human-centred, and forward-thinking. We recognize, accept, and celebrate our differences. We see the power in diversity, equity, and inclusion, and believe we can help everyone thrive by being our boldest true selves. Diversity is at the core of what we do and who we support to build financial health. Our financial empowerment efforts focus on equity-seeking groups including those living on low incomes, Indigenous Peoples, members of racialized communities, and people living with disabilities.
We strive to create a culture where all feel valued, respected, and a true sense of belonging. We are looking to bring diverse perspectives that represent the lived experience, needs and challenges of equity-seeking groups. Join us in supporting and empowering everyone in Canada to prosper.
Prosper Canada is seeking a dynamic and motivated full-time Development Manager to support and drive a Major Gifts Program targeting financial sector firms operating in Canada and select foundations. The current focus of our Major Gifts Program is to raise funds to support Prosper Canada’s 3-year strategy to help Canadians struggling financially to weather the current crisis, participate in Canada’s economic recovery, and build resilience against future economic shocks.
The successful candidate will be the operational lead for the day-to-day management of our Major Gifts Program under the supervision of the Vice-President, Strategy and Impact, and work directly with the CEO, other staff across the organization, a cadre of high-level volunteers, and our fundraising consultants.
This position has strong project management and administrative dimension but works closely with our Executive Team and Board members. It also offers opportunities to actively contribute to, and shape, processes and systems related to Prosper Canada’s overall fundraising.
Like many non-profit organizations, Prosper Canada has refocused its operations to address the COVID-19 pandemic’s impact on vulnerable Canadians. Specifically, we are working to scale up free tax filing, benefit navigation, and financial counselling services for people with low incomes and to explore other solutions to help Canadians who are financially struggling to weather the current crisis, participate fully in Canada’s economic recovery, and build their resilience against future economic shocks.
We are seeking to raise $20 million over 3 years to support this critical work from a mix of corporate, foundation and government funders. This position would focus on securing corporate and foundation funding only.
With the help of fundraising experts, we have developed a compelling case for investment, built a qualified prospect list, engaged high-level volunteers, and have begun our fundraising outreach. We have successfully raised over $5M to date from corporate and foundation partners, in addition to further resources from governments, and have a strong and growing pipeline. We are seeking a highly entrepreneurial individual with excellent project management, collaboration, and communication skills to support our Executive and Business Development Teams and our fundraising volunteers to execute our development plan and help us achieve our 3-year goal.
The ideal candidate for this role is a highly organized and entrepreneurial individual with 3-5 years of fundraising and project management experience, who is results-driven but enjoys supporting and motivating volunteers and colleagues from diverse teams and at different levels within the organization to work collaboratively to achieve a compelling and challenging goal.
They have strong communication skills, are able to work independently, and are adept at using tools and technology to manage their work, support the efforts of others, and track and report on activities and outcomes achieved.
The salary range for this position is $70,000-80,000.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead preparation for all internal Development Team meetings (usually 1-2 per week) to discuss our overall campaign strategy and our approach for each prospect and prepare all follow-up notes
- Prepare for volunteer Fundraising Committee meetings, including logistics, agendas, background materials, and messaging/presentations
- Engage key stakeholders and volunteers to assist with prospect identification, evaluation, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship, ensuring sufficient qualified prospects to achieve the campaign goal
- Ensure that the one-to-one planning meetings take place with each volunteer related to their prospects
- Coordinate ongoing prospect identification and evaluation
- Conduct prospect research to provide as much relevant information as possible to call teams
- Prepare prospect documents including call briefing notes, incorporating information from the prospect research process
- Manage prospect tracking tools to ensure activities related to each potential donor are closely monitored and up to date
- Ensure that the CEO and the VP, Strategy and Impact are following up as needed with prospects
- Monitor Program activities, milestones, and timelines to ensure timely progress and proactively manage the development team to keep on schedule (including upward management of the leadership team)
- Work with other internal teams to create and implement processes to support a successful Development Program – e.g., volunteer and donor management, research and cultivation, gift/financial processing, pledge management, and donor recognition
- Track and support implementation of donor recognition in collaboration with the Marketing and Communications team, including naming/branding opportunities
- Ensure appropriate recording, acknowledgement, and receipting of gifts and pledges
- Plan, support, and track donor cultivation and solicitation activities
- Monitor and report on Program progress against agreed on activities, goals, and outcomes.
EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES
If you don’t meet all our requirements (below) but believe your skillset and experience is applicable or transferable we would love to hear from you!
Apply if you meet most of these requirements:
- Results-driven with demonstrated successes in supporting fundraising efforts
- Approximately 3-5 years of fundraising experience
- Demonstrated project management skills and 3+ years of project management experience
- Experience in working with senior leadership staff (managing up) to implement plans
- Experience in donor and volunteer management
- Education or training in a related field. We’re open to hearing how your background helps set you up to work with us!
- Adept in philanthropic prospect research and analysis, and use of associated tools
- Excellent writing, PowerPoint, and visual presentation skills
- Demonstrated understanding of marketing principles, trends, and strategies
- Sensitive to the diverse needs and challenges faced by people living with low incomes, including but not limited to newcomers, Indigenous Peoples, members of racialized communities, people living with disabilities in Canada, people of all gender expression and sexual / romantic orientations, and those experiencing intersectionality
- An adaptive and entrepreneurial spirit, willing to try new things and comfortable working independently
- Fluent in French and English
- Proficiency with MS Office (Word, and strong Excel), MS Teams, and constituent relationship management (CRM) tools and software (e.g., Salesforce, Dynamics365, Raiser’s Edge, or Donor Perfect).
Prosper Canada also values/welcomes:
- Bachelor’s degree or post-secondary education in fundraising, sales, and/or marketing
- Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) designation (or working towards designation)
- Membership in a fundraising association, e.g.: Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), Canadian Association of Gift Planners (CAGP), Association of Professional Researchers for Advancement (APRA), and/or Association for Healthcare Philanthropy (AHP)
- Project management certification/designation (PMP, CAPM)
- Familiarity with financial empowerment and/or other poverty reduction approaches
- Experience working in financial empowerment
- Applicants from racialized groups, including, black, Indigenous, and people of colour
- Applicants of all gender expressions and sexual/romantic orientations, including queer, trans, non-binary, and people who identify as two-spirit
- Applicants experiencing intersectionality
- Your personal experience of living on a low income, being a newcomer, or living with a disability and the insights and perspectives this would bring to your work
- Your understanding of the concepts of institutional and structural racism and bias and their impact on underserved and under-represented communities.
We encourage candidates to tell us about themselves in their cover letters and highlight how their lived experiences help them understand the needs and challenges faced by equity-seeking groups. We are committed to making accommodations for all candidates and staff with temporary or permanent disabilities.
Application deadline: July 25, 2021
Start date: Fall 2021
Job location: 60 St. Clair Avenue E., Toronto ON
Currently, our staff are working from home until health protocols allow for a safe return to the office with appropriate health and safety measures. We value in-person connection but expect many staff will want to blend in-office and remote work going forward. We look forward to discussing hybrid options with potential candidates.
Travelling: The ability to travel in Canada is not required for this role.
How to apply: Please email the following documents to email@example.com
with the subject line “Application for Development Manager.”
o Cover letter
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interviews with candidates will be conducted virtually. If you require any accommodations to have a successful interview, please let us know.