Q&As – CPAC’s Awards, Scholarships and Bursaries


Q:        What are the differences between the award, the scholarship and the bursary?

A:        The award is for high school applicants who have completed grade 10, 11, or 12.

The scholarship is for post-secondary students who have completed at least two semesters of studies.

The bursary is for students enrolled in post-secondary studies who hold above-average scores and are in financial need.

Q:        What are the selection criteria for the awards?

A:        Applicants are judged on their academic records, community involvement, and the pursuit of higher education.

Q:        What are the selection criteria for the scholarships?

A:        Applicants are judged on their academic records and community involvement.

Q:        What are the selection criteria for the bursaries?

A:        Applicants are judged based on academic records and financial need (only students with a yearly household income below $40,000 are eligible to apply).

Q:        What are the prizes for the awards, scholarships and bursaries?

A:       All CPAC award, scholarship, and bursary winners receive a certificate and a monetary prize of $1,000. The only exception goes for the TD Insurance Meloche Monnex Prestigious Scholarship, which is $3,000.



Q:        I am an exchange student studying in Canada. Can I apply?

A:        Yes. If you are CPAC student member, you are eligible to apply.

Q:        Is this open only to Chinese students?

A:        No. Students of all ethnic backgrounds are welcome to apply for any of the CPAC awards, bursaries, and scholarships.

Q:        Are these Awards, Scholarships and Bursaries only for CPAC members and their children?

A:        No, these Awards, Scholarships and Bursaries are not limited to CPAC members or their children. All the Canadian citizens and permanent residents are eligible

Q:        I am currently in a university as a graduate student. Can I apply?

A:        Yes, you are eligible to apply for the scholarship and bursary.

Q:        Is there an age limit for the award/scholarship/bursary?

A:        No.

Q:        I’m currently in the 4th year of my studies in university, am I eligible to apply?

A:        Yes, as long as you have completed your first year, you are eligible.

Q:        Can I apply for more than one category? For example, can I apply for both scholarship and bursary?

A:        If you are a high school student who has completed grade 10, 11 or 12 (or will enter university in September of this year), you can only apply for an award.

If you are a college or university student who has completed at least two semesters of studies, you can apply for both a scholarship and a bursary.

You have to submit separate applications for each category.

Q:        I received a CPAC Award when I was in Grade 10. I am now in Grade 12 and will enter university in September of this year. Could I apply for an award again this year?

A:        No, for all award/scholarship/bursary categories, a person can receive the award only once. A previous award winner cannot apply for the award again. However, you can apply for a scholarship or bursary or both later when you are eligible.

Q:        Who is considered a full time student?

You must register in at least 60% of a full-time course load to be considered a full-time student.


Supporting Documents

Q:        Should I collect all the supporting documents and then process my application online?

A:        Yes, applicants must submit all supporting documentation along with their applications in ONE package. Separate submissions will not be accepted.

Q:        What are the mandatory supporting documents?

A:        For all categories, you are required to submit:

•          Official transcripts

You are required to submit a scanned copy of your official transcripts of the previous school year printed on security sensitive paper and contains the official school seal and signature of the Registrar.  Only official transcripts uploaded through online application will be considered.

•          Proof of legal status in Canada

To prove your legal status in Canada, you must submit a scanned copy of one of the following:

    • Permanent Resident Card  or Record of Landing
    • Canadian Citizenship Card or Canadian citizenship Certificate
    • Birth Certificate
    • student visa with CPAC membership card (for international students)

•          Proof of enrolment

A letter from your student affairs or admissions office that confirms your full time registration in the current term with a list of your enrolled courses.

In addition to the above, for Award/Scholarship, you also are required to submit:

•          Three reference letters, one is the proof of your academic achievement; the other is proof of your community involvement. The third one can be either.

For Bursary, you are also required to submit:

•          Notice of income Assessment

You must provide the “Notice of Assessment” or “Notice of Reassessment” for every family member 18 years old and over that lives with you at your household address.

Q:        For the previous school year’s average mark, is it the total average of all courses, or just the top six courses?

A:        Average mark accounts for all courses taken in the previous school year, but not including courses taken during the summer.

Q:        In what format should average mark be expressed in?

A:        It should be written as a percentage. If your marks are on a GPA scale, please convert it into a percentage.

Q:        For the reference letter (academic) can it be from a research supervisor rather than my professor?

A:        Yes, the reference letter can be from your research supervisor as long as the content is about your academic performance.

Q:        Does one of the reference letters have to be ‘proof of community volunteer service’?

A:        Yes.

Q:        What types of previous awards should be included?

A:        As optional supporting documents, you can submit copies of your previous awards and achievements. You should list the most current awards you have received and the ones that are most relevant to proving your merits for the CPAC award, bursary, or scholarship that you are applying for.