Bill-79 Petition: 40,000 more signatures needed before April 30
Bill 79, Nanjing Massacre Commemorative Day Act, 2016
Community Action Plan
On December 8th, 2016, Bill 79, Nanjing Massacre Commemorative Day Act, 2016, passed second reading debate in the Ontario Legislature. From there, communities across Ontario have mobilized to gather signatures for a petition in support of Bill 79. Even with a tremendous response of over 60,000 signatures and counting, petitions do not guarantee that a Private Member’s Bill will pass in the Legislature. At this time, if you support Bill 79, you need to take the following actions:
1. Petition (click here to download)
- Ontario residents can continue to show their support by signing and circulating the petition
- Opportunity to educate neighbours, friends and family about Bill 79 and encourage them sign the petition
Original signed petitions can be returned to CPAC office by April 30 at:
4150 Finch Ave. East
Scarborough, Ontario M1S 3T9
CPAC office hours: Monday to Friday 10:00am-6:00pm
2. Make an appointment to meet or write to your local MPP
Raise awareness on Bill 79 by meeting with your local MPP.
- The purpose of the meeting with your MPP is to raise awareness on Bill 79 and encourage them to raise the issue with their caucus
- Before scheduling an appointment, review the Fact Sheet* to share key points
- A successful meeting with your MPP requires a thank you note so they remember the cause you brought forward
- Regular follow up with your MPP on the status of Bill 79 is a requirement with both a letter and meeting
- If you are unable to meet with your MPP, please consider sending the sample letter
You can find and contact your local MPP here:
3. Contact the Premier and Opposition Leaders
- Write to the Premier and Opposition Leaders to show your support for Bill 79 using the adaptable sample *letter
- Each letter you send should have your MPP Cc’ed
Contact the Honourable Premier Kathleen Wynne, Leader of the Liberal Party: http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/members/members_detail.do?locale=en&ID=2111
Contact Patrick Brown, Leader of the Official Opposition, Progressive Conservatives:
Contact Andrea Horwath, Leader of the Recognized Third Party, New Democratic Party:
Fact sheet of Bill 79 (Page1, Page2)
Flyer of Bill 79 (some hard copies are available at CPAC office)
Sign to support Bill 79 Petition at CPAC before April 30, 2017 by Using the New Form
Whereas the events in Asian countries during World War II are not well-known;
Whereas Ontarians have not had an opportunity for a thorough discussion and examination of the World War II atrocities in Asia;
Whereas Ontarians are unfamiliar with the World War II atrocities in Asia;
Whereas Ontario is recognized as an inclusive society;
Whereas Ontario is the home to one of the largest Asian populations in Canada, with over 2.6 million in 2011;
Whereas some Ontarians have direct relationships with victims and survivors of the Nanjing Massacre, whose stories are untold;
Whereas the Nanjing Massacre was an atrocity with over 200,000 Chinese civilians and soldiers alike were indiscriminately killed, and tens of thousands of women were sexually assaulted, in the Japanese capture of the city;
Whereas December 13, 2017, marks the 80th anniversary of the Nanjing Massacre;
Whereas designating December 13th in each year as the Nanjing Massacre Commemorative Day in Ontario will provide an opportunity for all Ontarians, especially the Asian community, to gather, remember, and honour the victims and families affected by the Nanjing Massacre.
We the undersigned petition the Legislative Assembly of Ontario as follows:
That the Legislature pass the Nanjing Massacre Commemorative Day Act, 2016 by December 8, 2017, to coincide with the 80th anniversary of the Nanjing Massacre, which will enable Ontarians, especially those with Asian heritage, to plan commemorative activities to honour the victims and families affected by the Nanjing Massacre.
Please ensure original signed copies of this petition are returned to the following address by April 30, 2017: CPAC, 4150 Finch Ave E, Scarborough ON M1S 3T9; or you can visit CPAC office directly to sign at the petition. CPAC office hours: Monday to Friday 10:00am-6:00pm.
Thank you for your great support!