Caretaker, York Region District School Board
Work Location: Various locations
Salary: $22.99 – $24.00
Application Deadline: June 28, 2024
Thank you for your interest in a career as a Caretaker with the York Region District School Board. This application is for Caretaker opportunities for the 2023/2024 school year. Please Note: This application is for term opportunities as they arise throughout the year.
Term Positions: This is a position that is full time hours (40 hours per week). Term positions are one (1) year in duration and has a defined contract end date.
Permanent Positions: This is a position that is full time hours (40 hours per week) without a defined end date. Permanent positions are offered to internal caretakers based on performance and availability of positions, which is determined by system needs.
Note: This role will require work on a variety of shifts ranging from early morning to late evening (i.e. anywhere between 6:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.). Candidates must be available for all shifts.
This position is responsible for a wide variety of physical duties and responsibilities.
- Cleaning washrooms/classrooms/hallways/offices
- Removing garbage from classrooms, lunchrooms, shops and washrooms
- Performing checks and/or minor maintenance of building mechanical systems
- Writing and reviewing daily maintenance logs and outlined expectations
- Sweeping, dry mopping, wet mopping or vacuuming floors
- Dusting and/or washing tables, desks, shelving, cupboards, etc.
- Cleaning up spills of vomit, blood and small amounts of chemical
- Clearing walkways and entrance ways of snow and ice
- Performing interior and exterior security checks
- Performing outside maintenance including grass cutting and garden clean-up
In doing such tasks you will be:
- required to participate in pre- and post-employment training;
- required to use chemicals and be aware of the safety requirements in the handling of such chemicals;
- exposed to dust;
- physically active;
- required to lift and carry books, boxes and other heavy materials;
- required to work a variety of shifts ranging from early morning to late evening;
- at times working at heights of up to 24 feet using a personal platform lift; and,
- expected to do all of this, both alone and as part of a team, to provide quality service in a child-focused environment.
Education, Experience, and Qualifications:
- Completion of OSSD or equivalent.
- Applicants lacking the formal educational requirements but with related or relevant experience will be considered.
- Effective interpersonal skills required.
- Strong organizational skills required.
- Access to regular transportation.
- In the application process, you will be prompted to provide at least three (3) professional, supervisory references (including full name, position title, work location/organization, and email address) in the job posting screening section of the online application. We do not contact references prior to practicum/interview.
- For your information, a list of YRDSB Schools is provided.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Statement
The York Region District School Board (YRDSB) believes in giving each and every applicant an equal opportunity to succeed on their own merit and we strive to hire staff that reflect and support the diverse perspectives, experiences and needs of students and communities. We remain committed to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion in our living, learning and work environments. We know that diversity underpins excellence, and that we all share responsibility for creating an equitable, diverse and inclusive Board-community. Therefore, in pursuit of the Board’s values, we seek members who will work respectfully and constructively with differences and across the organizational hierarchy in actualizing the Board’s priorities, goals and principles outlined in the Director’s Action Plan.
We actively encourage applications from members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to sovereignty, equity, including, but not limited to:
- First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, and all other Indigenous peoples;
- African, Black and Black Caribbean peoples (in alignment with Anti-Black Racism Strategy);
- South Asian, East Asian, Southeast Asian, Middle East/West Asian, Latino/Hispanic (in alignment with YRDSB Workforce Census to address disproportionalities identified).
- members of groups that commonly experience discrimination due to race, ancestry, colour, religion and/or spiritual beliefs, or place of origin;
- persons with visible and/or invisible (physical and/or mental) disabilities;
- persons who identify as women; and
- persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions.
At YRDSB, we recognize that many of these identities intersect and therefore, equity, diversity and inclusion can be complex. W e value and respect the contributions that each person brings to enriching the Board and are committed to ensuring full and equal participation for all in the communities that we serve.
Accessibility and Accommodation Statement
We also recognize the duty to accommodate and foster a culture of inclusion. Consistent with the principles of dignity, individualization and inclusion, we will make any appropriate accommodation based on any of the protected grounds in the Human Rights Code to support candidate participation in the hiring process. When contacted, candidates will be provided with an overview of the various elements of the hiring process, such as skills assessments, written practicum, presentation, interview, etc. If an accommodation is required, please inform the Recruitment and Retention Team in advance of any part of the process. All information received relating to a candidate’s required accommodation will be addressed confidentially by the Recruitment and Retention Team.
Important Note for YRDSB Employees: If you have a current accommodation in place through Disability Management, please inform your Disability Management Case Manager to ensure that your accommodation needs can be met in the new role that you are pursuing. If invited to participate in the hiring process, and you are unable to perform the essential/bona fide requirements (e.g. physical, cognitive requirements), please notify the Recruitment Team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to review next steps (in the email please reference the job title you are applying to).
Important Information for CUPE 1734 Members:
As per the Collective Agreement (A.11.7 and A.11.8), those twelve month employees filling vacancies as a result of a job posting are to remain twelve months at their positions. Ten month employees are to remain in their position until the end of the school year. Each application submitted for a job posting will be reviewed, although consideration may be impacted by Articles A.11.7 and A.11.8.
As a condition of employment , successful candidates will be required to submit a current original Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC) from the police jurisdiction in which they reside or an Enhanced Police Information Check (E-PIC) through Sterling Backcheck prior to commencing employment with the Board. The PVSC and E-PIC documents are only valid if issued within the last six months. Candidates are not advised to obtain this document prior to an offer of employment. Should you go through the E-PIC process it is the candidates responsibility to download the results and provide a PDF copy to the Board upon instruction. Should you go through the PVSC process, it is the candidates responsibility to provide the results to the Board upon instruction.
On-line applications are collected centrally at the Education Centre – Aurora and are monitored by Human Resource Services. All applications will be screened based on the required education, experience and qualifications as noted in the posting and job description and as reflected in the application. Only those candidates meeting these criteria will be eligible to participate in the selection process and only qualified candidates will be contacted.
The personnel file of all internal applicants will be reviewed as part of the selection process.
For more job opportunities, and to apply to this position, please visit: https://www2.yrdsb.ca/about-us/working-yrdsb/careers.