Executive Director, Help Lesotho
Help Lesotho is looking for an innovative and entrepreneurial-minded Executive Director to lead our organization into an exciting future by leveraging our close to 20 years of proven success and impact to scale up our reach and scope. A Canadian NGO specializing in psychosocial support, Help Lesotho delivers 22 programs in five districts in Lesotho, reaching over 20,000 vulnerable beneficiaries annually.
Reporting to a supportive and engaged volunteer Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) is the public face of the organization. The ED provides organizational leadership, strategic guidance, and direction for Help Lesotho’s resource acquisition, donor relations, public engagement, financial accountability, program development and impact, and human resources management.
Acting in close partnership with the Country Director, the ED provides leadership to a team of 45 employees in Lesotho (40) and Canada (5) and is accountable for an annual budget of approximately $2M. It is expected that the ED will spend 4 to 6 weeks a year in Lesotho interacting with staff and beneficiaries, nurturing key relationships, and facilitating a strong partnership between the teams in Canada and Lesotho.
The Executive Director will be responsible for realizing and delivering on Help Lesotho’s vision and the objectives in our new strategic plan. Building upon nearly two decades of ground-breaking work by our Founder, the ED will bring creative approaches and new ideas while respecting, honouring, and building upon Help Lesotho’s culture, values, and successful practices.
This exciting opportunity includes scaling-up partnership development and stewardship of Help Lesotho’s innovative CHANGE4ce (changeforce) social enterprise to expand Help Lesotho’s reach and impact.
With a passion for and experience in international development, preferably in Africa, the Executive Director will bring demonstrated capacity working in a complex donor environment. A compelling and inspiring communicator with the ability to passionately engage others, the new incumbent will steward existing donors while building and growing a relevant network of Canadian and international partners and funders to take Help Lesotho to the next level. With a proven track record of fundraising, partnership development and management, the Executive Director will bring best in class fundraising practices and strategies and tech-solutions for communications, donor relations and project and program management.
Seen as a trusted advisor, leader, and colleague, the successful candidate will demonstrate compassion, diplomacy, empathy, and cross-cultural sensitivity to ensure a healthy, collaborative, and nurturing culture. The ED will be experienced in supporting a Board of Directors, staff, volunteers, donors, and community leaders, drawing upon and valuing the diverse talents and fostering an inclusive and supportive environment.
As someone who cares deeply for people, the ED will be mission and values driven with a passion for helping vulnerable people build community leadership, personal responsibility, and life skills to overcome challenges in a development context. They will have demonstrated experience in building deep relationships with all stakeholders based on values of care and respect.
The ED will ideally be based in the Ottawa Region or open to frequent travel to Ottawa and can expect regular, annual travel to Lesotho.
QUALIFICATIONS & KEY COMPETENCIES
- Progressive senior leadership experience in the not-for-profit sector
- Experience in international development, preferably in Africa, with a current understanding of key issues, trends and contexts
- Experience in diverse revenue generating programmes and success engaging and soliciting individuals, corporations, and foundations for major gifts and partnerships
- Deep understanding of the current Canadian donor context and history of securing international grants
- Demonstrated ability to develop and nurture networks with a diverse set of individuals and organizations
- Passion for the work of Help Lesotho and for the beneficiaries we serve with drive to advance and expand our impact
- Experience and/or interest in the areas of mental health, psychosocial support, and resilience
- Knowledge of organizational governance and expertise working with, supporting, and coaching boards and senior volunteers
- Ability to provide strong financial oversight
- Inclusive and collaborative team leader who has experience fostering relationship with people from different cultures; inspires confidence, passion and works alongside the team towards a shared vision
- A demonstrated commitment to the personal and professional development of staff at all levels; brings a “people first” approach to all they do
- Ability to demonstrate genuine care, compassion and empathy for beneficiaries, staff, donors, and volunteers
- Ability to think strategically and bring a forward-looking perspective to the work
- Confident leader who has a track record of taking on new roles/initiatives, learning quickly and taking decisive action
- Commitment to respect and honour the importance of faith in the lives of some of Help Lesotho’s donors and in the customs and practices of many of the Basotho staff and beneficiaries
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills
- A valid driver’s licence, passport, Covid-19 vaccination, and fulfilling health and security protocols are required, as regular travel, nationally and internationally, is required for this role.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
KCI Search + Talent has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of Help Lesotho. For more information about this opportunity, please contact Ellie Rusonik, Vice President, KCI Search + Talent or Mona Ip, Senior Search Consultant by email at HelpLesotho@kcitalent.com
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence. Interested candidates should send resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by October 21, 2022.
To view the full Executive Brief, please visit: www.kcitalent.com
Proof of Covid-19 vaccination is required for activities the Executive Director will be expected to attend such as events, meetings, and travel.
Please note that the salary range for this position is $120,000- $140,000