Searchlight Recruitment for CBC/Radio-Canada: Director, PR & Stakeholder Engagement
CBC/Radio-Canada – Director, PR & Stakeholder Engagement, Position Specification
POSITION Director, Public Relations and Stakeholder Engagement
LOCATION Open to Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal
CORPORATE WEBSITE www.cbc.radio-canada.ca
REPORTS TO Executive Director, Enterprise Communications Strategy and Public Affairs
CBC/Radio-Canada is Canada’s national public broadcaster. It originates local programming from 27 television stations, 88 radio stations and one digital-only station. It operates two main television networks – one in English and one in French – five specialty television channels, and four Canada-wide radio networks, two in each official language. Internationally, CBC/Radio-Canada has eight permanent foreign bureaus.
Deeply rooted in the regions, CBC/Radio-Canada is the only national broadcaster to offer diverse regional and cultural content in English, French and eight Indigenous languages (Chipewyan, Cree, Dogrib, Gwich’in, Inuktitut, Inuvialuktun, North Slavey and South Slavey) via CBC North, as well as five languages (French, English, Arabic, Mandarin and Spanish) for international audiences via RCInet.ca (Radio Canada International). CBC/Radio-Canada also operates eight permanent foreign bureaus.
CBC/Radio-Canada is a well-known and highly-respected national employer. Led by our mandate as the country’s public broadcaster, we seek to inform, enlighten, and entertain Canadians, from coast to coast.
We do this with a diverse team of talented individuals who are committed to quality in all the work that we do. It’s also something we do proudly in both official languages, as well as eight Indigenous ones, on multiple platforms, with a stated desire to be more local, more digital, and using the latest technology. Our people come from every corner of Canada and beyond. CBC/Radio-Canada makes diversity one of its priorities, which means reflecting Canada and its regions, as well as the country’s multicultural and multiracial nature.
Our successes and accomplishments are driven by embodying and upholding values, which include creativity, integrity, inclusiveness, and relevance. This is why we’ve embedded in our work processes ways to encourage diversity and inclusion – in our workforce, workplace, and our programming. We know this is key to creating content that mirrors and resonates with the rich and evolving demographic makeup of our country.
Our training and development programs, combined with a focus on creating a healthy, collaborative work environment, also helps employees thrive and feel a strong sense of commitment to the organization.
As a complex, high-profile and sophisticated organization, it presents one of the most unique and challenging human resources opportunities in Canada.
Whether on-air or behind the scenes, at CBC/Radio-Canada you join a team that thrives on making the connections and telling the stories that are important to Canadians.
This exciting and challenging position will report to the Executive Director, Enterprise Communications and will work closely with the Vice-President, Strategy and Public Affairs, the Executive Director, Public Affairs, the Director, Strategic Communications and Planning and other members of the Strategy and Public Affairs team. The Director of Public Relations and stakeholder engagement is responsible for the development and execution of a national PR strategy that supports and promotes the vision and mandate of the Corporation and improves the perceptions and experiences of stakeholders and communities.
As the Director, you and your team will be responsible for initiating, directing and implementing a comprehensive range of external communications activities (marketing, social media, public relations, events, advocacy, partnerships and stakeholder relations) to promote and strengthen the work of CBC/Radio-Canada.
You will provide expert advice and guidance to multiple stakeholders, including the Board of Directors, President and CEO, and some members of the Senior Executive Team, to guide the development of public relations plans and strategies and generate greater alignment and impact of external activities.
● You will lead and oversee an innovative and strategic national public relations plan that will promote the Corporation’s vision, goals, direction, and specific initiatives and offerings. From the development and design to the plan’s review and evaluation, you are there every step of the way and unabashedly on the front lines.
● You will create and foster engaging outreach strategies and activities on behalf of the Corporation and specifically for the Board of Directors, President & CEO and some members of the senior management team.
● Never one to shy away from an opportunity, you will build and nurture strong relationships and alliances with a diverse range of stakeholders, partners and organizations to spark ideas and meaningful discussions, help change perceptions, influence and build consensus on specific issues impacting the Corporation.
● With the greatest integrity and diligence, you will reach out to key stakeholders and advocates and take the time to understand their key concerns, perceptions and issues, in order to help inform CBC/Radio-Canada’s strategic decision making.
● You will draw from your productive relationships with CBC and Radio-Canada network and regional colleagues to create when applicable greater alignment and impact of public relations/outreach activities across the corporation.
● Being proactive and ambitious, you will find and pursue partnerships with organizations that will help promote the value and accomplishments of CBC/Radio-Canada.
● You will determine the benchmark of CBC/Radio-Canada’s public relations activities, identifying best practices and evaluating its performance and activities with vigour.
● A natural leader, you will motivate the team you manage and foster a culture of collaboration and continuous learning.
● You have at least 10 years of communications experience at a national level, including in management roles.
● You are a savvy public relations pro with social media influence, keeping current and connected with multi-platform content and digital marketing/communication methods.
● You have proven expertise in marketing, managing partnerships, and advocacy.
● You have great contacts and industry connections, having developed and maintained strong internal and external stakeholder relationships.
● You have strong communications skills in English and French. Bilingualism is mandatory.
● You are a strategic leader with the ability to multi-task and execute long-term planning.
● A degree from a recognized university in communications or in a related field is preferred.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right person, if you are:
● Looking to work in a creative, collaborative and inspiring environment.
● A tenacious communications strategist who loves a challenge and delivers the corporate message aligned with its strategy.
● You are energetic, engaging with strong interpersonal effectiveness, including experience and comfort relating to senior leaders, stakeholders and decision-makers.
● You earn people’s respect and get their buy-in through demonstrated ability to conceptualize, initiate and execute projects and/or campaigns.
● Accountable with a strong sense of professionalism and integrity.
● Committed and enthusiastic, confident and outgoing and not afraid of challenges.
● Highly organized and goal orientated with flexibility needed to shift gears quickly.
● Self-motivated with a professional and trusted public demeanor who is able to generate and clearly present communiqués.
● Strong interpersonal skills, collegial and a team player.
● You see the national view and can navigate a complex organization.
● You’re in it because you love it. And, want to make a difference. You care about culture, public broadcasting and contributing to a Canadian legacy.
A competitive compensation package including base salary, pension and benefits will be provided.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your cover letter and résumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than end of day on Sunday, May 20th, 2018.
CBC/Radio-Canada is an equal-opportunity employer. We are committed to attracting and recruiting a diversified talent pool, and encourage candidates of all cultures, communities, genders, sexual orientations, ages, religions, and abilities to apply.
We thank applicants for their interest, however, only those advancing in the process will be contacted