Tips: Prevent Water Damage to Your Home
As the climate changes, water damage to homes has been increasing every year. To avoid property loss, home owners are advised to be active in prevention. Here are some tips that will help you avoid water damage to your home.
Taking steps to prevent water damage:
· Keep floor drains clear of obstruction.
· Arrange to have someone check your property if you are going to be away from home for more than three days.
· Ensure that there is proper grading around your home, and incorporate this into new landscape designs.
· Install a sump pump.
· Install backflow valves or plugs for drains, toilets and other sewer connections, to prevent water from entering the home.
· Ensure that furnaces, hot water heaters and electrical panels in the basement are elevated on masonry, or relocate these objects.
· Avoid finishing areas such as the basement that may be prone to flooding.
· Install a rain barrel.
· Store important documents and irreplaceable personal objects (such as photographs) on an upper level of your home where they are less likely to get damaged.