Financial Accounting Specialist
Financial Accounting Analyst
Requisition ID: 2716
Number of Vacancies: 1.00
Department: Finance (20000042) – Financial Statements (30000071)
Salary Information: $59,677.80 – $74,529.00
Pay Scale Group: 6SA
Employment Type: Regular
Weekly Hours: 35, Off Days: Saturday & Sunday Shift: Day
Posted On: September 3, 2020
Last Day to Apply: September 14, 2020
Reports to: Supervisor of Accounting Policy and Financial Statements
The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is North America’s third largest transit system and has been recognized as one of the top places to work in the GTA. Guided by a forward-thinking strategic plan, the TTC’s vision is to be a transit system that makes Toronto proud. The TTC’s recruitment efforts are directly aligned to its mission of providing “a reliable, efficient, and integrated bus, streetcar and subway system that draws its high standards of customer care from our rich traditions of safety, service and courtesy.”
Reporting to the Supervisor – Accounting Policy & Financial Reporting, the incumbent is responsible for general accounting duties. The incumbent records financial transactions, analyzes accounting issues and performs a variety of reporting and control functions such as analyzing account balances and reconciling information. Monitors the progress of annual audit tasks and submissions and acts as the key contact for audit submissions. The incumbent should be able to work on one’s own in a timely matter and be adaptable and flexible to the TTC’s fast paced changing environment. The incumbent should address accounting challenges in a logical and positive manner and be willing to constantly learn about the work of the section to provide effective absence coverage and/or to cover future SAP backfill opportunities.
Key Job Functions
- Develops a comprehensive understanding of and records transactions related to ad hoc and monthly accruals, accident claims, operating subsidy, bank memos, legacy working funds, passenger revenue and deferred revenue.
- Investigates underlying transactions, applies financial acumen and knowledge of TTC’s financial processes to ensure completeness and accuracy of income statement transactions and to ensure balance sheet account balances are actioned or cleared on a timely basis.
- Systematically reviews and investigates unusual activities and provides solutions to address accounting issues and is the primary contact to communicate on a timely basis with stakeholders and auditors the accounting issue and/or error, providing detailed documentation to support conclusions and recommendations.
- Supports the TTC’s year-end process by tracking the progress of year-end tasks and audit submissions.
- Main point of contact for internal stakeholders and external auditors regarding audit documentation required by external auditors.
- Manages the compilation of the year-end account statement book for the TTC, supports the GL Team and assists the Supervisor with other period end or year-end tasks.
- Tracks section’s expenses and purchase orders and ensures charges are authorized and reasonable before processing invoices for payment
- Performs assigned administrative tasks such as: preparing PowerPoint or Word reports and managing the section’s records in accordance with TTC’s record retention policy.
- Demonstrates behaviours that support diversity, inclusion, and a respectful work and service environment that is free from discrimination and harassment. Helps to remove barriers and accommodate employees and customers (within their area of responsibility) in accordance with TTC’s commitments and obligations under the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) and Related Orders, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), and TTC’s policies.
- Maintain documentation and historical records
- Perform relevant mathematical calculations and statistical analyses
- Communicate in a variety of mediums
- Use office technology, software and applications
- Create, document, and manage information and records
- Apply analytical skills
- Demonstrate specialized expertise and knowledge in the assigned field
Education and Experience
Completion of post-secondary education in a related discipline including courses in accounting and enrolment in the CPA program or a combination of education, training and experience deemed to be equivalent, combined with several year of related experience.
- Knowledge of accounting principles and practices, journal entry preparation, account investigation and reconciliation.
- Excellent investigative and problem-solving skills. As well as excellent attention to detail and demonstrated ability to perform work accurately and in a timely manner.
- Advance knowledge of Excel and proficiency with other Microsoft software (e.g. Word, Access, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Must have ability to exercise judgement to identify unusual transactions, balances or circumstances for investigation and follow-up.
- Knowledge of audit principles and experience working with external auditors
- Flexible and comfortable working in an environment of change.
- Must possess good interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills to handle inquiries efficiently and effectively and resolve issues with other departments or external parties with tact and tenacity.
- Must possess strong mathematical skills and be well-organized in order to meet deadlines and prioritize the significant amount of daily workflow and multiple tight deadlines.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to draft and edit a variety of written reports and communications and to articulate ideas clearly and concisely.
- Sound knowledge of office methods, practices and procedures including records management and offsite storage.
- Knowledge of and experience with SAP (including SAP GL FICO, JE Uploader and Template, FIORI and SAP Analysis) is preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience with financial systems and processes that impact financial reporting (including Mainframe, Fare Media Management System (FMMS), and Fare Media Destruction Certificates System (FMDC)) are preferred.
Bottom of Form
To find out more about the TTC and to apply online, by September 14, 2020, please visit www.ttc.ca/jobs, click on “current employment opportunities” and enter Requisition ID 2716 in the search field.
We thank all applicants for their interest but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The TTC is committed to fostering a positive workplace culture with a workforce that is representative of the communities it serves. Committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion, the TTC encourages applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodation is available for applicants, including those with disabilities, throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources – Employment Services at 416-393-4570.
The TTC’s Employment Policy prohibits relatives of current TTC employees from being hired, assigned, transferred or promoted into positions, where there is a conflict of interest due to relationship. Should you be selected for an interview, you will be required to disclose the name, relationship, and position of any relative who is a current TTC employee.